• Oil purchases by China and India are undermining American sanctions on Iran and Venezuela, but halting them could be costly. As a deadline approaches to decide if China and India should receive waivers to buy Iranian oil, the United States must choose between oil markets and diplomacy.
• Attorney General William Barr will release a redacted version of the special counsel’s report on Thursday to both Congress and the public, the first step in what promises to be a protracted fight with Democratic lawmakers over how much of the document they are allowed to see.
• Next week, the Supreme Court will consider whether the Trump administration may add a question about citizenship to the 2020 census. The consequences will be vast if the question is added, particularly a possible decrease in participation.
• The Internal Revenue Service is facing an April 23 deadline to hand over Mr. Trump’s tax returns to House Democrats. But the president’s personal lawyer claims that the move would turn the I.R.S. into a political weapon.
• The two presidential candidates who entered 2019 with the largest bases of supporters — Mr. Trump and Senator Bernie Sanders — led the 2020 field in fund-raising in the first quarter of the year.